Sunday, March 28, 2010

Angel Food Cake


Today I had the offspring over for a spring dinner. We had lamb, salmon, fake chicken, potatoes, carrots, onion, broccoli salad, and for desert - angel food cake. For the first time, I made an angel food cake from scratch instead of a mix. I used to think it wasteful not to use the entire egg. My ideas have changed in part because I learned the healthy part of an egg is the white and in part because I have chickens and eggs are plentiful here. Besides, I scrambled the yolks and fed them back to the chickens who gobbled them right up. My recipe was one I found on the Internet and I didn't follow it very closely. I don't have a sifter for flour. I didn't use cake flour. And I didn't read it very carefully before I mixed all the dry ingredients together. The recipe called for 1 1/4 cups of egg whites. A dozen eggs brings you fairly close to 1 1/4 cup of whites. Even with my mistakes, the cake turned out very well. A made-from-scratch angel food is much tastier than a box mix. I topped it with whipped cream (made from whipping cream - not that high fructose corn syrup stuff you get in the freezer section) and fresh raspberries.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...