Saturday, March 6, 2010

Change of Season

I smelled the distinct odor of skunk this week. Spring is in the air. I can go outside with my chin held high and my neck exposed to the air again. Sap is running in the maple trees. I love spring. My favorite thing about spring? Ditching the driveway - totally. I can spend hours with my garden spade creating water courses for the melting snow to drain to the west (lower) side of the drive. I dig little trenches in the ice. Once I get a good flow going I try to make it flow faster by removing more ice or some rocks. I find it totally mesmerizing to watch the water stream by and figure out where my shovel work will hasten the draining. If I find any rapids I dig out that spot. The water is at most maybe three inches deep on my gravel driveway. If I do this right, I can go from a wet but frozen driveway to a dry driveway and bypass that "mud up to the hubcaps" driveway.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...