Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Bridal Wreath

Sigrid Undset wrote a series of three books, the first of these is The Bridal Wreath.  She won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1928 for this series of books.  The series focuses on a woman named Kristin Lavransdatter, a Norwegian woman living in the tenth century.  The first book focuses on Kristin's early life until the age of 18.  Funny, it doesn't matter if it's medieval times or modern times, teenage girls sneak out of the house to meet their boyfriends and some of them have premarital sex.  The story is the same, only the times are different.  When we discussed this book in my book club, some people wondered how a medieval romance series won the Nobel Prize.  One person mentioned she did live in Norway as if that gave  her a better chance of winning the prize.  In the group of 20 plus people, no one completed reading the entire book.  My excuse is that I only had it for ten days so I read as much as I could before I had to return it to the library.  I read the first third and the final chapter.  If I liked it more, I would have found a way to finish it.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...