Sunday, December 26, 2010

Season of Belief

This holiday season I once again believed in the magic of Santa Claus.  Somewhere in my parent's house is a record.  For those of you who don't know, a record is a black vinyl disc with a small hole in the center. As it rotates on a turntable, a needle picks up the patterns in the grooves and converts it into sound.  This particular record was made at Dayton's Department Store in St. Paul.  When kids visited Santa at Daytons  in the early 1950's, they were given a record of the conversation they had with the jolly old elf.  On this record, Santa asks my older sibling what she wanted for Christmas. She answers, "I want something for Susie and Tilly."   Awwwwww!  Isn't that sweet?  And generous?  Doesn't that answer embody the magic of Christmas?  I've never been that kind hearted.  Susie is me.  Don't ever call me that though.  Only my older sibling can call me that.  And Tilly was our dog, a weimaraner with a short, sausage like tail, large ears and the patience of a saint.  I'm glad to get top billing over the dog.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...