Monday, December 13, 2010

Joseph, his Coat, the Ordway

I got a call from a sibling in the middle of the day on Sunday offering me a free ticket to the Ordway production of Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  I already had my evening planned:  clean the house, water the plants, clean the chicken coop and watch Desperate Housewives while knitting.  So I had a decision to make, desperate housewives or Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at the Ordway?  Forget the housewives, I wanted to go to the Ordway.  So I threw off my sweat pants and and headed to St. Paul.  Even though the snow had stopped 24 hours earlier, many downtown streets were not plowed.  We parked in a lot across a  park decorated with Christmas lights from the Ordway. The air was frigid and the walking was treacherous but it was pretty downtown.  We had to walk through the lobby of the St. Paul Hotel to get there.  The St. Paul Hotel is always an interesting place to walk through but at Christmas it is really dressed to the nines.  Wow, what a difference between a Broadway production and the local productions I am used to.  The show started out with a couple kids up on the stage tossing a ball back and forth.  We wondered if they were supposed to be up there.  More kids came up.  Some played marbles and others jumped rope.  Eventually we figured out these weren't errant day care kids but really part of the production.  The children added a nice touch.  The singing, the dancing, the choreography - it was all amazing.  Joseph was a great performer.  He spent a lot of the performance without a shirt on.  I think those pecs were real - they can't be drawn on.  I love to watch people dance and this show had some truly excellent dancers.  We were so enthralled that when we left, the air didn't feel as cold and we were singing "Go go Joseph, Go!" all the way back to our parking ramp.  What a wonderful evening.  I am so lucky to be invited.
  

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...