Tuesday, December 28, 2010

British TV Commercial Awards


On Monday, Offspring #2 and I went to the British TV Commercial Awards with some friends.  I've gone every year for 4 or 5 years now.  The best commercials are shown.  This year I thought the selection was not as good as previous years.  The topics were darker.  One of the most disturbing commercials involved bodies falling from the sky in a downtown area.  At first you couldn't really tell what the bodies were but it reminded me of scenes from the destruction of the Twin Towers. Eventually you can see the bodies are polar bears dropping onto vehicles and onto the pavement.  The message at the ends indicates that every time you take a plane ride your flight introduces greenhouses gases into the air equivalent to one polar bear.  Well, how disturbing is that?  Next month I will be taking six plane rides (three to get there and three to get back). The video above shows the number one winner.  Now I want to be a part of a flash mob.  I heard there is a flash mob in Minneapolis that rides the light rail in January without pants.  Ok, I could maybe try wearing boxers on the light rail in July but I cannot ride without pants in January - it's downright dangerous.  I want a fully clothed flash mob experience.  Another good commercial involved sheep wearing LED lighted blankets, herd dogs, and a large field on a hillside.  They got the sheep to move on the dark hillside to look like an Atari game.  One group of sheep formed the round ball while two lines of sheep seemed to make the ball bounce back and forth.  I don't remember what they were advertising with the sheep but it was entertaining.  Some commercials were too long.  I think one was 3 minutes long.  I watched one that old the story of a young teen who loved music and wore make up and dressed androgynously. He tried college but dropped out.  He lost job after job because of his attitude.  He loved guitar hero.  He lived with his parents and his Mom cheered him on when he played guitar hero.  I thought the commercial was about guitar hero. The last scene shows him loosing another job and jumping off a ladder into a bin of Doritoes.  That is when we learn the commercial is for Doritoes.  He never even eats Doritoes or shows any interest in Doritoes.  Maybe you have to be British to get some of these commercials.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Looked a bit rehearsed but was fun to watch. I posted to my FB page :)

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...