Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Victory Doesn't Taste So Sweet

Finally. After many trials and many errors and lots of hard work, I have beaten the squirrels.  All last weekend, I had no squirrels on my bird feeder.  I did not need to bring out the super soaker.  The squirrel deterrents strung onto the line that holds the platform feeder are finally working.  I have a milk bottle, pvc pipe, a sobe enhanced water bottle and some pop bottles strung in the air over my back yard. It appears I have hung my recycling and trash in the air.  I moved the bird feeder farther down the line away from the deck.  Even the most acrobatic squirrels are unable to fling their bodies off the deck and grab onto the platform feeder.  I watched the squirrels out my window while I looked for birds.  I had only two squirrels visiting instead of the usual half a dozen squirrels. Several times the squirrels climbed to the deck and looked at the bird feeder but did not attempt to get to it.  The squirrel would stand on the deck railing with it's back to me, shoulders slumped and head down.  It looked so sad I (and I cannot believe I'm saying this) felt sorry for it.  To top it off, one of the squirrels had a sore on it's right flank.  The skin had an open red sore about a half inch long and a quarter inch wide.  For years I have yelled at squirrels, thrown things at them, shouted terroristic threats at them, and even squirted them with my supersoaker when it's cold out.  And now I'm feeling sorry for them?  I've wanted this bird feeder to be squirrel free.  I worked hard to get it.  Now that I've achieved my goal, I'm still not happy.  Maybe what I need to do is set up a small squirrel feeder.  I don't mind feeding the squirrels a little.  I do mind squirrels eating all the bird food and keeping the birds away from the bird feeders.

1 comment:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...