Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ground Dwelling Hornets

My first experience with ground dwelling hornets in this yard was when the offspring were still in elementary school.  I was innocently mowing the lawn when all of a sudden I started screaming and dancing.  I had mowed over a hornet nest and they didn't like it.  They stung me four times.  I couldn't tell where they were coming from and was reluctant to let go of the mower because it was hard to start.  Hence the screaming and dancing.  Eventually I figured out it was time to run away so I did.  Ever since that fateful day, I've been nervous mowing - constantly on the watch for round holes in the grass that might indicate a ground dwelling hornet nest.  I've dealt with these hornets at least five years since that time.  This year the hornets decided not to dig out a nest.  They chose instead to move into a hollow space beneath my garage slab where the garter snakes used to live until I chased them out with moth balls.  I first noticed the hornet nest in early July.  I have used two cans of bee and hornet spray which is supposed to kill them.  The spray is not working.  I spray into the hole every night at dusk and every day I see more hornets coming and going . Maybe they mislabeled the pesticide.  Maybe it's really bee and hornet vitamins.  All this hornet coming and going is making me nervous.  I drive my car right over the hornet entrance to get into the garage.  Today I shut the garage door as soon as the car passed the door in case any angry hornets wanted to follow me in.  My next step is to make or buy a hornet trap.  Any other suggestions?

1 comment:

Cajo said...

Take out the mothballs? Garter snakes won't sting you. I suppose it's easier said than done, though.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...