Sunday, July 10, 2011

Last Day in the BWCA

This was our last morning on our trip.  I woke up several times in the night. I don't wear a watch so I have always waited until I hear someone else up and moving around before I get up. I was so surprised to be awoken by a verbal "wake up call."  I came out of the tent and could not believe that the other tents were already packed up and breakfast was ready.  How did I (we) not hear all that commotion?  I guess we stayed up too late talking.  After a hearty breakfast of hot oatmeal with granola mixed in, we loaded the canoes and paddled toward our portage.  We got there in a little over a half hour of paddling.  Awww!  I didn't want the trip to be over yet.  How did it take us two hours to get to our campsite and only a half hour to get back?  I helped unload the canoes and this time, I did not fall.  I had fallen about 4 or 5 times during the course of this trip.  My last fall was a backwards one.  During the split second between when I knew I would fall and when I hit, I worried this one was going to hurt.  Lucky for me, I fell just right into a chair shaped rock.  The rock even had a backrest.   Although my underwear was wet, it was strangely comfortable for a fall.  While the canoes were tied down, I stood in the water of Brule Lake, unwilling to leave.  Two yellow swallowtail butterflies fluttered around and landed on me.  I wore them like beautiful brooches for quite a long time.  Northern butterflies are trusting.  I had a great vacation and I believe I learned enough skills to take someone else up there.  Interested?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...