Monday, July 25, 2011

My Bad

Yesterday I noticed that the door was open on the bluebird house outside my kitchen window. I wondered if a predator pried the door open. After mowing, I walked over there to check it out.  I haven't been checking the bluebird houses every week like they say you should.  I don't like disturbing the young.  Inside this bluebird house and still intact was a house wren nest.  I know it's a house wren nest because it was full to the top with two inch sticks.  The house is wedge shaped.  I am unable to just stick my hand blindly into the top of a nest and pull out what is there. I am just too scared to do that.  So I removed the wedge shaped nest with one hand and looked into the top. There I saw 5 house wrens completely naked except for a Mohawk crest of tiny feathers on top of their heads.  Punky little house wrens!  This is supposed to be a bluebird nest.  Then I remembered it is a crime to kill or disturb songbirds so I went to put it back.  Those twigs were crammed in the nest so tight that the nest expanded when I removed it and I couldn't fit it back in. I tried removing a few sticks but that just made the whole nest shift in shape and made the problem worse.  I jammed it in as best I could and shut the door again. I heard a few sticks break as I tried to correct my mistake.  I couldn't get the door completely shut but I jammed the nail into the wood as best I could so the little wrens could stay warm until they were old enough to fledge.  I hope there is enough room for the parents to get in there and feed the children.

PS One of my tomatoes, a cherry tomato, is turning color.  I would say it's a bronze color today.  My mouth waters just to type this.  The first tomato is always the best.

PPS My book club is reading Gone With The Wind.  I wasn't so happy about the selection in part because I thought of it as just another bodice ripper.  And when I picked it up from the library and held the weight of over 1,000 pages in my hand, I thought I would have carpel tunnel by the time I was done reading it.  But the truth is, I love it so much I can hardly put it down. I read 45 minutes past my bedtime last night. Only 600 pages left to go!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...