Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The White Tiger

I read Aravind Adiga's debut novel, The White Tiger by listening to it on compact disks.  The reader had a strong Indian accent and this helped me enjoy the novel because I wasn't puzzled about pronunciation like I am with some books.  The main character is Balram who lives in India.  Balram is the son of a rickshaw driver.  He is writing a letter to an important official in China explaining how he became a successful entrepreneur.  Throughout the book, the author talks about the servant class and the master class.  Balram eventually moves from the servant class to the master class.  The book is a dark comedy that gave me a glimpse of what it is like to live in India.  The book touches on globalization, technology, the Muslim and Hindu religions, corruption, and the constraints of family.  A couple times I thought the book was going too slow and I got tired of hearing about the wealthy versus the poor. But by then I was too intrigued by Balram to put the book down.   


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...