Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Light In The Forest

I walked through the library and saw a book on display under the word, "Classic."  I had never seen it before.  I picked it up.  The book was short, had illustrations, and was written in 1953-a very good year.  So I borrowed it, read it, and am here to tell you this is a great book; a first rate American historical fiction.  The main character is John/True Son, a boy born in Pennsylvania and kidnapped by Indians at age 4 and reluctantly returned to his white family at age 11.  The boy spent his formative years with the Indians and he believes he is an Indian.  He finds living with his birth family extremely uncomfortable especially because his uncle is a white supremest.  He runs away to live with his Indian family but finds he doesn't fit in that world either.  Both white and Indian, he is neither white nor Indian.  Tough spot to be in for anyone but especially an 11 year old boy.  Conrad Richter takes no sides on the racial issues.  He writes  succinct and non-judgemental chapters that work for children as well as adults.  A Disney movie was made of this story (starring Fess Parker.  I always have liked Fess Parker).  I should put in in my Netflix queue.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...