Thursday, April 5, 2012

Two Turkey Vultures Sitting In A Tree

The past three mornings I've seen a pair of turkey vultures sitting in a tree on my street.  The house with the turkey vulture tree is on the golf course.  Why do the vultures hang out there?  Our street has an average amount of road kill; various squirrels and the occasional bunny or chipmunk.  I like turkey vultures but it is not a comforting sight to see them looking down at me as I pass by in my car.  Maybe I have watched too many westerns.  I've seen too many desperate cowboys out in the dessert, hungry and thirsty, dismayed by the sight of vultures circling overhead, waiting for them to die.  Sometimes the cowboys were tied spread-eagled to stakes by the Indians to die a horrid death while the turkey vultures came closer and closer.  Those old westerns, not only were they racist but prejudiced against vultures too.  I like to watch turkey vultures but I get a little creeped out when they watch me.  They force me to think of my own mortality.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...