Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Ring Around The Rosie

Have you ever looked upon a scene that held too much for the eyes to comprehend?  It's happened to me.  Twice.  Once, years ago, when the offspring were younger and less wise, I opened the door to the cabinet under the kitchen sink and saw two mind blowing things: a mouse skittering across the floor of the cabinet and a used fire extinguisher.  I knew I had a fire extinguisher there but I didn't know it had been used.  The extinguisher dial was on the red area and there was white residue around the nozzle.  My reaction was, "Aaaaah!  Aaaaah!"  I wasn't sure which thing deserved a louder scream so I think they came out equal.  Anyway, today, I again came upon another scene that was almost too much to comprehend.  I looked out the window this evening and saw two pileated woodpeckers on the deck.  Mr. Pileated (the one with the red moustache) was pecking at the suet holder and Mrs. Pileated (minus the red moustache) was on the floor of the deck chowing down on the big chunks of kidney fat he was spilling.  My appearance at the window started the pair of peckers and my eyes focused on something beyond the deck.  Meredith, my lone chicken, was out free ranging around the bottom of the bird feeder.  She was not alone.  She was circling the feeder with two other critters in a clockwise motion.  What were the critters you ask?  Squirrels?  No.  Cardinals?  No.  Nobody from her fowl kingdom.  Chipmunks?  No.  Deer.  Meredith was playing ring around the rosie with the twin, almost -year- old deer.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...