Friday, August 17, 2012

Compost Pays

I saw something beside my compost bin as I was washing dishes.  With a bag of fresh banana and onion peels in my hand I went out to investigate.  There, growing out of the compost bin, was a squash plant.  Deer had eaten most of the leaves of the squash plant but I did have one butternut squash growing.  How awesome is that?  I didn't buy butternut squash seeds.  I didn't plant this plant.  Last winter, when I was cold and in need of a low calorie warm soup, I bought a butternut squash.  I threw the seeds and the rind in the compost.  At least one butternut squash seed must have liked the compost environment and decided to propagate.  Free squash for me!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...