Monday, February 11, 2013

Juustoleipa

Twenty or so years ago I was visiting my Grandmother-in-law and she invited me to try some Finnish cheese that a friend had made and brought over.  I was hesitant.  No one I knew made cheese.  Cheese was something to be bought at a store.  She graciously talked me into trying it.  The cheese was cut into 1x6 inch strips.  The top was brownish and the inside was creamy white.  I bit into a tiny piece.  The cheese squeaked when my teeth divided it.  My lips were instantly covered in a buttery grease.  "This cheese squeaks, " I said.  She admitted some people called it squeaky cheese.  The taste was amazing. I had three pieces.  It was delicious.  This weekend while shopping at the Seward Coop I found some more squeaky cheese.  It was called Juustoleipa.  I don't know how that is pronounced.  I bought some.  And it's all gone.  Golly that was almost as good as the cheese I had twenty years ago.  Someday when I have time, I will try and make this at home.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...