Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Book Of Mormon

I went to a play last night at the Orpheum Theater on Hennepin Avenue called "The Book of Mormon."  The singing was amazing. The dancing was awesome.  The energy, the set, and the showmanship was out of this world.  The theater was sold out.  The content was, at times, so offensive that I am more disturbed today than I was last night.  I am still processing it today.  My initial reaction was that the play was a total slam on the Mormon religion and all organized religions.  Today I think the play backhandedly applauds the Mormon religion and all organized religions.  I knew parts of it would be offensive.  The writers also write for the television show South Park.  So I was ready to be offended.  I was surprised how far they went to be offensive;  W a y over the top on the offensiveness.  The work of missionaries is a complicated subject though.  Offended or not, I'm glad I went.  I am surprised that this play is such a box office hit though. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...