Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Out Of The Comfort Zone

Today I did something outside of my comfort zone.  I've been stressing out about it for weeks.  I did it though and it went well and now it's over.  What I had to do may not seem like such a big thing to you but don't judge me.  Everyone has their own fears.  Prequel to the story:  About 20 years ago I was asked to do a favor for a family member. She wanted me to give her an injection.  Every month she got an injection of iron and she did it at home.  Her husband had just died and he used to do this for her.  She asked me to help her out. I said no.  I don't know how to give injections.  She would not listen to me.  I suggested she go to the clinic.  She claimed the clinic would not do it.  I still said no.  She wouldn't listen.  She said I was a nurse.  I said, "As convenient as that would be, no, I am not a nurse.  I do not know how to give shots and I do not want to do this."  She insisted.  She said it didn't hurt, it was easy, I didn't need training.  The fact that she was a new widow got to me.  Even though I still said no she came over with the medicine and the syringe.  Other relatives were there but she focused on me giving her the shot.  I felt cornered.  She didn't even know how to draw up the shot.  The bottle did not give clear instructions.  I should have stopped there but I didn't.  I called my Mom who figured it out for me over the phone.  I was scared to give a shot.  Pushing a needle into the skin creeped me out. She wanted it in the back of the arm; anywhere was fine.  I said again, "I really don't want to do this."  I was breathing heavily when I stuck the needle into her arm.  I freaked out.  I dropped the needle.  The syringe hung out of the back of her arm like a flag without wind. By now I am pretty sure she was thinking she should have gone to the clinic.  I moaned aloud and made panicked eyes at the other relatives who were in the room.  They silently looked away and walked out of the room.  Disappointed by the relatives I forced myself to get a grip.  I depressed the plunger and pulled the needle out of her arm.  I set the needle down on the table and left the room to go into the bathroom and compose myself.  This relative learned her lesson and never asked me again to give her an injection.  She got them done at the clinic instead.  Back to today:  I helped someone test her blood sugar before lunch and receive insulin.  My biggest fears were hurting her and not knowing what I was doing.  I was told it didn't hurt so logically that fear should have been erased.  In my heart it was still there though.  And I had a registered nurse at my side guiding me through every step.  Again, logically the fear of not knowing what I was doing should have been erased.  But it lingered in my head.  I did find that once I got into the process of the steps I focused more on that than my fears.  And I am pretty sure that the first time will be the worst.  Doing it again should be easier.  If I can do things outside of my comfort zone, my comfort zone will enlarge.  A larger comfort zone would be nice.  The person I helped was cool about it and everything went fine.  She is a great lady and I like her a lot.  She motivated me to move outside my comfort zone.   

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...