Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Turkey Vultures

I saw the two turkey vultures sitting in a tree. K. I. S. S. I. N. G.  No, I didn't actually see them kissing but they're sitting together very friendly like in the same tree they used last year in front of a house up the block from me.  Is this a sign of breeding activity?  If only I could see them carrying nesting material then I could count it on the breeding bird atlas.  I don't think they build big nests.  Usually vultures will sweep off a patch of dirt near a cliff or use an old barn or shed to lay their eggs.  The fact that they don't build fancy nests makes it harder to document breeding. I would really, really like to add them to the list of birds breeding in my priority block.

No comments:

Time Of The Lotus Bloom

Now is the season for the blooming of American lotus. The flowers near shore stand higher above the water line than the flowers in deeper wa...