Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A Year Ago

The cold weather and deep snow can be depressing.  So to feel better I try to go back in time.  A year ago I was in Australia where it was warm.  Some places were actually hot but I was never sure exactly how hot because I'm not so good at converting Celsius to Fahrenheit.  Some parts were dusty and dry.  Other parts were lush and green.  Green!  How my eyes ache to seen green right now.  The animals were so different there.  Some animals I had never heard of before like the echidna and the quoll.  Some I had barely heard of like the wombat.  But now that I know the wombat, I love the wombat.  And thinking about the wombat makes me feel warmer.  A year ago I held a little wombat in my arms.  Aww, it was so cuddly; like a live teddy bear!  I supported it with my left arm and with my right hand I made a fist and knocked my knuckles against it's bony backside just to hear hollow sound.  Not content to do it once or twice, I knocked the wombat's backside over and over and over again.  The poor thing didn't seem to mind.  And even though it was sprinkling a light rain on us, it was a moment to remember, me holding this wombat and knocking it on the backside.  So maybe it's deathly cold outside and the precipitation has piled up higher than the top of my car in the driveway, somewhere wombats roam. Somewhere it is tropically warm.  And even if the warmth isn't here I'm comforted to know it is warm somewhere.
Knock!  Knock!  Knock!

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I'll give you something else to think about. It's very warm in Mesa too. We have had such a great winter here but very little rain. Our retirement park is having a park wide patio sale this weekend and wouldn't ya know it's predicted for 70% rain! Good thing all the homes have car ports for some protection. We have the same covering on the other side of the house to that goes the length of our house so our large deck is protected too. It was cooler today at 73* but has been in the mid 80's for many days! I'm thinking with all the snow in MN we may not be leaving here until June! ha ha Stay warm!

Anonymous said...

I'll try to stay warm but it is deadly cold out there.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...