Monday, February 10, 2014

Bird Protection


This weekend as I drove down Highway 10 I noticed tracks in the snow leading from the highway to the tree that holds the eagle nest just east of the Main Street exit.  Somebody walked from the highway to the eagle's tree.  Why?  Why would a person walk to the eagle tree?  Was it an innocent stroll or shenanigans?  I have been looking and have not seen the eagle on the nest yet this year.  If I remember correctly, they were sitting on the nest by this time last year.  Is somebody messing with my eagle nest?  The snow is hip deep out there and it could not have been an easy hike.  On top of that this afternoon I read that a birder observed some owl watchers in Ramsey acting dangerously around the owls.  They were baiting the owl.  They had mice in their hands and were teasing the owl to come and get the mice. The owl baiter was almost struck by the owl.  The observer was horrified and disgusted and ended up driving away because they couldn't stand to see the owl being mistreated like this.  Maybe the owl baiter didn't know any better.  Maybe the owl baiter didn't think about the owl getting struck by a car or getting too familiar around people.  Maybe the owl baiter had a child with them and was trying to strike a spark of interest about nature.  Maybe the owl baiter had all the best intentions.  I don't know.  I myself held a mouse in my hand while a wild barred owl flew toward me and took the mouse off my palm.  It was one of the most exciting moments in my life.  But was it the right thing to do?  I don't know.  I was in a bird class at a nature center and a naturalist offered the opportunity.  I took it.  Some times it is hard to know what is right and what is wrong.  How is giving an owl a mouse any different than giving a blue jay some sunflower seeds?  On the other hand if that Highway 10 eagle is disturbed and doesn't nest this year or that Ramsey snowy owl gets struck by a car, somebody is going to have some explaining to do!  

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...