Sunday, February 23, 2014

I Hope The Birds Appreciate This

I hope the birds appreciate the work I went to yesterday to refill the peanut feeder, the thistle feeder, the sunflower feeder and to put suet in the suet feeder. I actually had to don my snow shoes to get out there.  Just a short trip, I thought, no need to buckle my shoes on tight.  That was a mistake.  Try walking in snow shoes in hip deep snow balancing 3 feeders and a bag of suet. I fell three times.  It's not easy getting up when you have nothing to push against.  In fact, when you do push your hands against the snow you end up in deeper snow that you were before.  Normally this chore would take me 3 minutes to complete but in this weather and including the times it takes to put on snow pants and snow shoes, it took a good half hour.  My snow shoes kept coming off when I tried to pick up my foot and move forward.  So much snow collected on top of the shoe that it was hard to keep my feet in the straps.  After I collected the feeders it was much easier putting them back because the trail had been broken.  It's times like this that I am glad my back yard is a private spot and no one saw me out there.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...