Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Dogged

Dogged.  That is a word you don't hear everyday.   But this week I've heard it four times already, mostly in this book I'm reading about the Amish.  I know dogged means tenacity and persistence but I've never used it before.  When I think of dogged I think of Honey.  Honey, rest in peace, was a golden retriever owned by my cousin.  When we stayed at the cabin Honey was our chubby, matted neighbor dog.  Honey was friendly and well behaved and dogged.  And in great need of some grooming.  When Honey saw a squirrel go up one of the small trees on the lake shore, Honey would park her matted haunches beneath the tree and watch that squirrel for hours. Literally, hours.   Once in a while Honey would bark at the squirrel but mostly she just watched.  People would walk by, boat by, swim by and wonder what the heck that dog was doing.  Honey's owner's would explain how she was when she knew a squirrel was up the tree - dogged.  She would stay there until the squirrel escaped or the sun went down.  Honey was a dogged dog.  Ok, now I have used dogged in a sentence. .

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...