Monday, August 8, 2016

Dear Committee Members

My book club read Dear Committee Members by Julie Schumacher a couple months ago.  I love my book club and I love reading.  But I am also a tightwad.  Why buy a book when you can borrow it from the library for free?  Well, it's hard when 23 other people are ahead of you in line to read this book. So I look to Amazon for the Kindle version.  Am I willing to pay $12 for an electronic book of only 193 pages?  No, I am not.  I am a book lover and a tightwad. This time the tightwad won the battle and for the first time, I faked it in book club.  I went to the discussion.  I listened to the comments.  I smiled.  I nodded.  I had no idea what they were talking about but, as far as I know, no one but me knew that.  When questions were asked and opinions solicited I raised my eyebrows and looked up as if I was formulating my thoughts but I didn't have any because I didn't read the book yet.  Now, the book was available so I read it in a couple of hours this weekend.  I remember quite a bit of the discussion and things make more sense to me now.  This book is a series of emails and letters written by a very angry, possibly pathologically angry, English professor at the University of Minnesota.  If you enjoy sarcasm and sincerely passive aggressive shenanigans, you will enjoy Dear Committee Members

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...