Thursday, August 25, 2016

I Felt The Earth Move

The day before yesterday was an exhausting day.  We got up early and walked an hour to get to Vatican City by 9 a.m.  Having a child along allowed us to pass the hour long wait to buy tickets so that was lucky. We toured the Vatican museum, the Sistine Chapel, and Saint Peter's basilica.  We took a bus ride around the city to see the sights.  I was exhausted and feeling a cold coming on so I took 2 Nyquil and went to bed early.  In the night, I believe around 4 a.m., my bed started rocking and rolling.  Was I having  a Nyquil moment or was this an earthquake?  The bed was really shaking.  I am in a room with 4 adults and 1 baby and it's totally dark but I think I'm in an earthquake.  What do do?  Offspring #2's phone is on the nightstand and the screen turns on. Should I wake everyone up?  Seriously, it was tough to get that baby to sleep.  But an earthquake!  Maybe we'll be safe in this building.  Wait, how old is this hotel again?  15th Century or 16th Century?  I can't remember.  Is a really old building good or bad in an earthquake? I'm on the fourth floor.  Do they feel it more downstairs?  What is the best thing to do?  Stand in a doorway?  Go out in the street?  Before I can formulate a plan the event is over.  THAT WAS AWESOME!  The shaking has stopped and the baby starts crying.  She gets comforted and i go back to sleep.  Later, maybe an hour later, it's still dark, I am awakened again with a less violent and shorter aftershock.  This must have been an earthquake if it has an aftershock.  I wait until everyone is awake before I ask, "Did you guys notice the earthquake last night?"  No one noticed except for the baby and I.  News confirms it though.  It was an earthquake, not a Nyquil moment. I have always WANTED to feel an earthquake (but not get hurt).  I got what I wanted and in Rome, no less.  It would have been cool to experience it in the day time and to be able to share the experience with others.  Best. Earthquake. Ever 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...