Thursday, August 4, 2016

What Am I Missing?

I come home from work. As I pull up to the garage I see 4 turkey polts and at least 6 adults moving through the yard away from the driveway. I must have disturbed them from sitting in the sunshine by the garage door.  I didn't know turkeys nested around here and I wonder where the nest was.  I go to check on my chicken and I see someone has dug a big hole in the grass near the bird feeder. The hole is 5 inches in diameter and 4 inches deep.  The sandy soil was flung to the west side of the hole. Why was this hole dug?  Who dug it?  Squirrels dig holes that are usually smaller but about that deep.  Was it a feral cat?  I've seen holes they dig in the sand under my bedroom window to cover their droppings but they're not as deep as this and they dig sand; not sod.  Was it a stray dog after a vole?  I don't know. I see the level of nuts in the peanut feeder is down three inches.  The blue jays, wood peckers and nuthatches were here today.  The black sun flower seed feeder is down two inches.  Black capped chickadees had a field day.  I missed a lot being away from home and working for a living. Comedy.  Tragedy. Why do I see four holes dug in the yard instead of one?I know what happened at work (and that was plenty!) but what happened at home?  

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...