Monday, January 8, 2018

Mystic River

In my daily commute to work I have to cross the Rum River. This river drains out of Lake Mille Lacs and enters the Mississippi. The water goes through bogs and that is why it has that dark color of rum. Every drop of water that falls onto my property drains into the Rum and eventually enters the Gulf of Mexico. The indigenous name of the Rum was Spirit Lake and that makes major sense to me. In the cold weather we have been having lately the spirits of the Rum have been treacherous. In the first week of January I saw from the Ferry Street bridge over Highway 10 that there was a serious accident right on top of the river. Traffic was backed up for miles and I could see blue and red lights flashing. I made a quick decision to take the long way to work and cross the Rum in downtown Anoka instead and made it to work on time. Jiminy Crickets, that was a close one. (I am using Jiminy Cricket as my swearing substitute now). Last Friday I turned onto Highway 10 from the Ferry Street bridge to see a serious accident on the west bound lane. I saw at least four cars slid into each other right on top of the Rum River. Oh, my worst nightmare would be to crash and have my car fall into a frozen river. Jiminy Cricket! On my right three more cars were touching on the shoulder. I slowly go around them. I am glad it is 6:30 a.m. and the traffic isn't terrible yet. Jiminy Cricket! Now I see six cars slid into each other and several look totalled.  No one is even out of the cars yet. Jiminy Cricket! As I go around this bunch I see another group of 4 cars smashed on the right! That makes a total of 4 multi car crashes between Ferry Street and Seventh Avenue! Jiminy Cricket! I proceed on Highway 10 and by the time I get in the building I am breathing normally again. An hour later a coworker comes in all upset because her son was in an accident on Highway 10 right by the river.  Jiminy Cricket! He is ok but his car is totalled.  He happened to temporarily have two vehicles so he is fine and all is well. I am beginning to think the spirits in that river are not happy spirits. I wonder what I can do to appease whatever is bothering this mystic river?


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...