Tuesday, January 30, 2018

The Early Bird Gets The Worm

This morning, as usual, I went out to check on my chicks at zero dark thirty.  They hear me coming. I put a light down on top of the run right above the water bowl.  I bring a pitcher of warm water and a small plastic container of wood chips and wax worms that were bought at a bait store. I pour the warm water into the chicken water bowl and the Americauna chickens (Pollyanna, Heidi Ho, and Half Pint) drink up. Chickenson Caruso stays in the coop. The two black cuckoo marans (Heckyl and Jeckyl) look up at me expecting a treat. I empty the wiggling meal worms into the run along with the wood chips. Heckyl and Jeckyl peck at the wood chips. Suddenly one of them pecks at a fat juicy meal worm. Excitement rises. Heckyl and Jeckyl peck faster until every morsel has been tasted.  Maybe those cuckoo marans are not the cuckoo marans I thought they were!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...