Sunday, March 3, 2019

Stewardess!

Last night a good friend and I braved the cold and met for Thai food on Saint Peter Street in Saint Paul.  After that we headed to the History Theater for a sold out performance of Stewardess! The last play we saw there was a musical about the Glensheen Mansion and the shenanigans of Marjorie Caldwell.  We liked that show so we thought we would like this one too. This show was less musical but also based on a true story about the largest pay out class action suit for gender discrimination by Northwest Orient Airlines. This show was both funny and depressing. Mary Pat Laffey was a stewardess for Northwest Airlines. She loved her job but she didn't think it was fair that she got paid less, had to be weighed all the time, wasn't allowed to wear glasses, could not be married, and had to retire at age 32. So she did something about it. She was loved and hated for her decisions.  The life of a true Minnesota heroine can be lonely. Having lived through this era I could completely relate.  I cheered when the Gloria Steinham character appeared on stage.  I booed when the Phyllis Schafly marched across the stage carrying her protest sign and offering freshly baked bread and home made jam to the audience. I did. I really booed.  Don't even get me started on Phyllis Schafly. She drove me crazy in the 1970's,  Just the thought of Phyllis Schafly raises my blood pressure. The last performance is today and that too is sold out.  If this play comes around again, I suggest you go and see it.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...