Thursday, February 13, 2020

Mountains Beyond Mountains

I borrowed this copy of Mountains Beyond Mountains: : The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World from Offspring  #2 before I left on my road trip. Now that I have finished this fine book by Tracy Kidder, I have more appreciation for the work and words of Doctor Paul Farmer. Doctor Farmer is a physician and a medical anthropologist. He is especially interested in severe cases of tuberculosis that do not respond to standard treatment. He worked mainly in Haiti, Peru, and Siberia treating the poor and the sick. He founded a non-profit organization called PIH (Partners in Health).  He travels around the world speaking, seeing patients, and raising money for patients who cannot afford to pay for their treatment. I am inspired to read about such a giving, hard-working scientist who manages to maintain a positive outlook despite the poverty he witnesses and the politics he has to untangle.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...