Monday, April 12, 2021

Marchers

 Today was another rainy day in Duluth. After running some errands I decided to exercise at the YMCA instead of walking in the rain. I have been going to the Y on poor weather days ever since I have been fully vaccinated. I used the weight machines. After a year of not using a fitness center, my arms lost quite a bit of strength. I worked my arms and legs on machines. For my cardio I chose a stair master that faced away from the room so I could look over First Street as I walked up the stairs. Across the street I look at the brick façade of the Board and Trade Building. In the street three City of Duluth vehicles go by. After seven or so minutes I see a group of twenty people walking east on the far side of First Street. They are holding home made signs but I can't really read the front of the signs. On one sign held by someone near the end of the group I see the words "white supremacy." I wonder if this is a white supremist group walking in the rain. I suspect they came from City Hall which is a few blocks west of here. Some of the people in the group are people of color so I doubt it is a white supremist gathering. Thoughts about this group distract me from the drudgery of walking up the steps while breathing hard and dripping sweat. Five minutes later the group comes walking back toward me. I see the signs better now. I see "Dante Wright" and "Black Lives Matter." Most of these marchers are young people but a few have gray hair. I consider waving or giving them the thumbs up but 1. none of them are looking at the second floor windows of the YMCA and 2. I would probably fall off this stair master which is so high I can reach the ceiling by raising my arm. Later, as I leave the YMCA for my car, I look up and down the street for any more marchers but none are in sight. Living in the city has been a change for me after decades of living in the suburbs but this is a change I think I like.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...