Friday, April 30, 2021

Nomadland

 I read Nomadland because I heard the film version won several Oscars. Jessica Bruder is the author and she immersed herself with the traveling nomads. These are people who don't have houses. They are homeless. They travel in vans or recreational vehicles or cars. One guy was a nomad in a Prius. We learn about the lives of a half dozen people. Some worked as campground hosts in National Forest campgrounds. Some worked at Amazon fulfillment centers. From what I read about that, I don't think I would physically be able to handle that job. Amazon actively recruits the nomads to work for them. Some worked in sugar beet harvests in the Red River Valley which also sounded too difficult for me. Some of the people in the book seemed to thrive on the nomad life. One thing all the nomads had in common is that they fell on tough times and are trying to get by cheaply by not having to pay a mortgage or rent. With an income gap that is widening every year, the story of the people in Nomadland might be a glimpse into the future for more people in our society.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...