Sunday, April 11, 2021

Wish Come True

This weekend I had a friend come and stay with me. We are both fully vaccinated and are taking baby steps on our way back to normal. Although I got used to social isolation easily (am I part hermit?) having a friend stay over so we could talk until 1 a.m. was great fun. She and I went for a walk on the lake walk. We parked at the Rose Garden and walked to the lift bridge. We walked over the bridge to the lighthouse. I told her I really wanted to be here when a lake went through. We were just about to walk back toward my car and were actually on the bridge past the safety arm when the alarm began to blow. A couple pushing a baby in a stroller were running towards us. They were eager to get off the bridge before it started lifting. They actually looked a little bit panicked. The bridge lifts up a good ten minutes before the laker arrives. But here it is coming out of the shipyards towards the lift bridge.

Here is the American Mariner going through the lift bridge at 4 pm on Saturday. The American Mariner is, by Sunday evening, already through Sault Ste. Marie and is headed to Buffalo, New York.

Bon Voyage!

Here you can see the bow of the American Mariner has almost reached the end of the shipping canal. Fair winds and following seas! What a cool experience to be there when a ship sailed under the bridge!

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...