Sunday, August 28, 2022

Overdue

I have mixed feelings about Amanda Oliver's non-fiction book titled Overdue: Reckoning With The Public Library. I liked the insight I got from her nine months of experience working at a public library in a run down section of Washington, D.C. Working there could be scary and she claims she got PTSD from her job. I enjoyed the facts about public libraries in our country. I enjoyed reading about the services libraries provide to people like who who come and check out books and to people who are houseless and need a warm space with free Wi-Fi and public bathrooms. What I didn't like is the pages spent on personal rants against cancel culture and the dangers of social media. I didn't see how those things related to public libraries. Several chapters were off the topic of public libraries.


 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...