Sunday, August 7, 2022

St. Croix Paddle


 Today was the annual canoe trip. This time we started at Interstate State Park and got out in Osceola and rode the school bus back to our cars. The weather was unusual. The temperature was in the low 70's with no wind and cloudy skies. It was nice not to have the sun beating down on us. For a Sunday there weren't that many people out in the water. The water level was very low and we ended up hitting a few rocks. I steered for the first part of the trip but after lunch I rode duff and sat in the middle soaking my hands in the river water. We saw a few eagles, a turkey vulture, a belted kingfisher and about 5 turtles. We saw several stands of cardinal flowers from our canoe. When we got to the dalles part of the river where cliffs are on both sides we sometimes see a sand bar. This year there were two sand bars. We could tell my the water lines on the rocks that the river was four feet below normal. I had a really nice time on the water today.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...