Friday, November 25, 2022

How Can I Help?

 Today a situation arose in which I was of no help. I wanted to help. I didn't know how to help. The situation happened on my noon time walk with Offspring #2 and two hound dogs. We were walking toward UMD because the sidewalks there are not icy. Ironically we have to walk a mile of icy sidewalks to get to the clear sidewalks. As we were headed up a steep hill Offspring #2 was distracted by a dude using a kitchen broom to sweep off his car that had no snow on it. I was distracted by the sight of a wild rabbit who appeared to have one paralyzed hind leg. The two hound dogs were also distracted by this injured rabbit. The hound dogs leapt toward the rabbit which was down a hill and about to hide under a house. Offspring #2 braced their body and squatted  low because this position has worked before in Minneapolis. But Duluth is not Minneapolis. Duluth has hills.  The hounds were using the hill to their advantage. There was a tree between Offspring #2 and me. Soon enough Offspring #2 is off the feet and is being pulled through the snow the one dog had just turned yellow. The hound dogs have lost their minds and are howling like hound dogs. In the process a bird bath gets turned over and breaks. I grab one dog by the neck so Offspring #2 can get on their feet. We pull the loudly barking dogs back off private property to the sidewalk. I set the bird bath back up and try to fix it. I look at the house where the bunny lives to see a sign that reads, "Smile, you are on camera." Oh great, this will be swell to see on TicTok. Offspring #2 will mail the owner of the bird bath an explanation, an apology, and money to buy a new bird bath. Later we laughed at how useless I was in this situation. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...