Monday, November 7, 2022

You're Invited

Amanda Jayatissa is the author of You're Invited. In this fiction novel set partly in California and partly in Sri Lanka culminating in a lavish wedding ceremony in Sri Lanka. Everyone there seems to have an agenda. The bride has many agendas. The groom has agendas. The little sister has an agenda. The parents of the bride have their agendas. Why can't people just talk to each other openly instead of trying to control outcomes dishonestly? I guess that the open communication styles of healthy people would not make a very dramatic book. Ironically, the woman, Amaya, who was invited to the wedding really wasn't invited. The bride's sister pretended to be the bride and invited her. When Amaya is the narrator of the story I could tell she is unreliable and dark. She has obsessive and violent thoughts. Sometimes Amaya will cut herself to calm herself down. This book was a good psychological thriller and by the end I had to completely change my views on every major character. I learned enough about lavish weddings in Sri Lanka that I would definitely attend one if I ever got invited.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...