Saturday, November 19, 2022

Orchid

 What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word orchid? My first thought is pink. Today I drove up to the Boulder Lake Environmental Learning Center for a class on the orchids in the area given by my friend, Rueben. There are 15 orchids in the area. Some live in wet areas and some line in the dry sandy pine barrens. Sometimes the same species live in the wet areas and the dry areas. The thing that orchids need is a fungus specific to their species. I have seen some orchids around here because I went on a guided orchid hike here a couple of years ago. On that occasion we were looking at the orchids who like wetness. I was surprised to learn that orchids bloom from May through September. I thought of them as a spring flowering flower. I had a great class and to top it off, I won a book! I already read the book and it should come in handy next summer.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...