Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Judge


 One kind person brought in these sunflowers to brighten up our polling place on London Road yesterday. Wasn't that nice? And I got to bring them home with me! I  love sunflowers because they are so cheerful. I worked 16 hours straight as an election judge which is no easy task as I am accustomed to not working at all anymore. By the time I got home at 10:20 p.m. I was beat. We had a great crew of women working and everything went smooth. All the voters were nice and we ended up with 759 ballots. One election judge said she figured out we had about one ballot a minute. We registered almost 300 voters too. I looked over quite a few driving licenses and passports over the day. I had one unusual voter. I went to help her when I saw the tabulating machine kick out her ballot. She had voted for every single candidate. I told her she cannot vote for everybody. She said she is neutral and wanted to vote for everybody. Also she wrote a prayer on her ballot and I said the machine will reject that because of the extra marks. She kept whispering her answers in my ear and she wasn't making much sense. She seemed to be in her early 20's. After much whispering and my answers she decided to keep her ballot and she walked out of the polling place. We had to record that behavior in our incident log. I guess she didn't understand how voting works. We had many young people voting which is nice to see. Many people told one election judge that they saw her on television. I finally asked her why she was on television. She said she was in a political ad and was not allowed to talk about the add while working as an election judge. All in all, I had a long and pleasant day and I am grateful I could sleep in late this morning.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...