Saturday, December 17, 2022

Pot Luck

 All day I have been debating whether to go to this potluck tonight. This morning I was shoveling snow and I see the man across the street unable to get up his driveway and he has a Chevy Tahoe with four wheel drive! If a big truck like that man has gets stuck I really shouldn't go in a Honda Fit. Later, after lunch, my neighbor snow blows the street in front of my house throwing frozen ice balls at the house. This sounds like a war zone and I am afraid she will break a window. She didn't break any windows. I shovel again to rid my sidewalks of the thrown snow. I really shouldn't go. I consult Offspring #2 who thinks it will be cancelled anyway. But I want to go! Finally I decide to go. I could walk because the pot luck is at the University. But do I want to walk there and back in the dark? Not only do I not want to walk in the dark I don't want to bring a cold dish. I decide to drive. I decide to bring veggie meatballs in tomato sauce. I plan backwards. The meatballs take 11 minutes in the oven. Putting on my coat and boots and walking down the icy driveway will take 6 minutes. Driving takes 6 minutes. I decide to turn on the oven at 5 and leave at 5:30. I have never been in the Lebovitz building before so it is good to leave extra early. I arrive 20 minutes early so I drop off a birthday card at the post office first and then drive back. I park my car close to the building and walk the wrong way to the library. I turn around and walk back hoping my meatballs stay warm. I come to another door and see someone I think I recognize also carrying a bag with a crock pot inside. I greet her and tell her now I know I am at the right place. Turns out we never met before. She leads me to the room and we are the 3rd and 4th person to arrive. I set down my bags and take off my coat and we chitchat for 20 minutes. Another man comes in and apologizes for being late. Soon we are hungry and it is time to eat. We have meat meatballs, Vienna sausages, vegie meatballs, a lentil salad, pumpkin muffins and a quiche without meat. All the food I tasted was delicious. On the screen are pictures from the native plant walks we have taken together. We talk about ideas we would like to explore such as how plants survive the winter, wild rice, and whether the variety of species in an area has changed from 40 years ago. There is much laughter and discussion. There are even a drawing for a prize. Three of the people here are board members so only the guy who came late and myself are eligible to win. The prizes are bags of seeds and books. I take the Michael Pollan book called The Botany Of Desire. He is one of my favorite authors. The potluck is starting to feel like Christmas. By 8 o'clock we pack up to leave. Driving home I see people have not shoveled their side walks and the narrow streets and decide I made a good choice to drive. I manage to get home meeting both of my goals; don't have a car accident and don't break any bones.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...