Thursday, December 1, 2022

The Sweet Tooth

Ian McEwan is the author of Sweet Tooth. I like this author and I have read several of his books. I liked this one too. This story starts out in 1972. Cambridge graduate, Serena Frome, has just gotten her degree in maths. Her mother made her change her mind because she wanted to major in literature. Serena was talented in maths but she really didn't enjoy it. Because she is beautiful and smart, she is recruited by the M15 which is a spy agency. Serena isn't paid much and she isn't sure who to trust. She lives in a flat with 3 other women who are all studying to be lawyers. The M15 wants to change the culture of the country by hiring writers whose political beliefs are similar to the government. Serena is sent on a mission to recruit a young writer. She has read his work and she loves his writing and she tells him so. The writer gets recruited. His only stipulation is that she visit him from time to time because he doesn't want to deal with a faceless institution. After a time Serena not only loves his writing but she loves him too. The feeling is mutual. The situation is complicated because she isn't supposed to let anyone know that she works for the M15. I would never work for a spy agency. I liked to talk about my work. I enjoyed reading about current events because I forgot about the Cuban missel crisis and the bombings in North Ireland.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...