Thursday, April 20, 2023

Helping With English

 On Tuesday night I did something that I have thought about doing for 20 years. This activity is a bit out of my comfort zone but that is good, right? To get out of your comfort zone can be good. I volunteered to help a ESL teacher with students in a GED class. We had the teacher, two volunteers, and three students. All the students were adult women. One from Turkey, one from Ecuador, and one was from Thailand. We read a beginning reader newspaper about a city in northern India, near the Himalayan mountains, that is sinking into the ground. The city is built on stones. The mayor of this town wants to add a wide road, a railway system, and a city water system. We also did worksheets on helper dogs and walk to work day. I had an interesting two hour interchange and the time flew by. I worked with the lady from Ecuador. We both have visited the Galapagos Islands so we had that in common. She is a driven woman. With her drive we did all the readings and work sheets the teacher had to offer. I had a good night. I am glad I gave this a try.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...