On Tuesday night I did something that I have thought about doing for 20 years. This activity is a bit out of my comfort zone but that is good, right? To get out of your comfort zone can be good. I volunteered to help a ESL teacher with students in a GED class. We had the teacher, two volunteers, and three students. All the students were adult women. One from Turkey, one from Ecuador, and one was from Thailand. We read a beginning reader newspaper about a city in northern India, near the Himalayan mountains, that is sinking into the ground. The city is built on stones. The mayor of this town wants to add a wide road, a railway system, and a city water system. We also did worksheets on helper dogs and walk to work day. I had an interesting two hour interchange and the time flew by. I worked with the lady from Ecuador. We both have visited the Galapagos Islands so we had that in common. She is a driven woman. With her drive we did all the readings and work sheets the teacher had to offer. I had a good night. I am glad I gave this a try.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Time Of The Lotus Bloom
Now is the season for the blooming of American lotus. The flowers near shore stand higher above the water line than the flowers in deeper wa...
-
A yellow rail, one of THE MOST ELUSIVE birds around, sound like a manual typewriter. And if you're too young to know what a manual ty...
-
I received a gift from Offspring #1 - a collection of lectures on compact disk about Medieval Heroines in History and Legend. The speaker is...
-
Today I was home quite a bit and saw a plethora of birds in my yard including two "first of the year" birds at opposite ends of...
No comments:
Post a Comment