Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Manoomin

 Last night I attended an event at the U of M medical school entitled, "Why Should Minnesotans Care About Sulfate" The sponsor was the Water Legacy Project. Speakers included tribal elders, physicians, research scientists and the moderator, Paula Macabee. I did not know that wild rice is a "superfood." I am glad I like and ate some wild rice this week. I think the Water Legacy is a great group. I believe they are single handedly stopping the mining companies from mining for copper in this water rich environment. Mining for copper in the dry hills in Chile makes a lot more sense because it is the water that turns sulfate into poisonous sulfite. I didn't know that wild rice was once common throughout the eastern half of our nation until the Europeans came and altered the hydrology of the land. Now wild rice exists only in Minnesota, northern Wisconsin and northern Michigan. Wild rice is quite common in Canada.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...