Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Your Plane Is In The Hangar

Yesterday the flight from Harrisburg, PA to Chicago, IL went off without a hitch. I checked my roller bag at the door of the plane and put my back pack in the overhead bin leaving me with plenty of leg room. I finished my book on my phone and could not download anymore while in the air so I just looked out the window at Lake Erie and Lake Michigan. Once in Chicago it was a mile hike to the next gate but that went fine. We were supposed to board the plane at 8:10 p.m. but there was no plane to board. At 8:15 a plane was towed to our gate only to be towed away to another gate. We waited. I stook and waited because I don't like to sit so long. This morning my daughter-in-law gave me a 30 minute lesson on how to do full range of motion on all my joints and I was feeling pretty good as far as my joints went. At 8:45 I ate an orange because I was bored. We were told that our plane was coming from a hangar. So we weren't waiting for a plane to unload and be cleaned. We were waiting for a plane to be towed to us from a plane garage. That knowledge wasn't so helpful. A little bit after 9 a plane was towed to our gate. Even the two pilots and one flight attendant were happy to see it arrive. I checked my roller bag at the door of the plane and put my backpack in the overhead bin. The plane was entirely full with the exception of one empty seat - the empty seat next to my seat. Score! My book I downloaded at the airport wouldn't show on my phone so I stared out the window. This is a picture of Chicago with Lake Michigan across the top. We flew along Lake Michigan to Green Bay and then headed across the beautiful state of Wisconsin. I ate a free bag of pretzels. I read an article about airplane travel affecting your sense of taste. The air in the airplane is so dry that you can't taste many foods. The air is part of the reason airline food tastes so bland. The article recommended eating and drinking savory foods. I don't usually drink tomato juice but I always get it on a flight. I used Google maps to watch the plane progress over streets and streams. I know I shouldn't do that but it was fun to watch my speedy progress. We arrived in Duluth before 11 p.m. All four of the landings I had on this short trip were excellent. I experienced no bouncing or skipping. Are pilots more talented or are they using artificial intelligence to do the landing? I really don't know.  I got my bag and rolled out of there. I went across the street, past the parking ramp to the open lot near the exit. I had parked my car on top of a pile of snow and now my car was lowered to the pavement. I paid $52 to leave. As I left the airport road I came across a huge puddle in the road. I watched the car in front of me make a huge splash so I drove around the puddle. I was home in 10 minutes.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...