Sunday, February 22, 2009

Disneyland - A Magical Kingdom




I love Disneyland. I think Disneyland is a magical kingdom. This was my third trip there. The first trip was at age 19 when 4 girls and I drove a red VW van from Minnesota, through the Black Hills, Yellowstone, Seattle, down the coast, through Disneyland, and seeing Las Vegas on our way home. That was a wonderful trip that I will always remember fondly. My second trip was in March of 1988. I toured Disney with my four year old offspring #1 while carrying offspring #2. Being pregnant prevented me from going on some of the rides but I still had a great time because it is a magical kingdom. This time I went with my sister, some nephews (ages 6, 13, and 20) and my niece (11). Usually there are lots of cartoon characters walking around and you can have your photo taken with them. This time, we only saw one cartoon character and I think the cold rain prevented the others from coming out. "Look!" I said, "It's Cruella de Ville? Lets go talk to her!" The kids looked at her. She seemed to have a prominent adam's apple and perhaps a five o'clock shadow. She was holding her cigarette holder and gesticulating at a couple tourists. She didn't seem that happy. The kids said no, she was mean, they didn't want to talk to her. I tried again, "She won't hurt you, lets go talk to her." Inside I know that if I approached her with kids, she'd focus on them and leave me alone. But I couldn't talk them into it. We went on all the rides. We wore the 3D glasses for the film. We zapped Buzz Lightyear's enemies with our guns on the next ride. I didn't realize at first that our cars were keeping score. My niece who ended up with me on almost all the rides, had a much higher score than I did. So I quit shooting at my sister and started targeting the bulls eyes scattered throughout the ride. I never caught up to my niece. We drove the old time cars on Autotopia. We all went on the Matterhorn. Normally I would avoid this ride. In fact, I think I passed on it during my first two trips to Disneyland. I don't know what came over me but I got in line with the rest of the bunch. OMG! My niece and I were on the ride together and it was a nightmare. I had my hood pulled over my head because I couldn't bare to look and I screamed bloody murder the entire ride. I hung on as tight as I could wondering what the heck I was doing on this scary ride. It was horrible. I'll never do the Matterhorn again. I was wearing my backpack and I got slammed so hard into the seat that a lens popped out of my glasses inside the backpack. I think my niece's hearing has returned now. After that we went on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. I told my sister that if I saw Johnny Depp I was hopping right out of this boat. Well, we did see him but I could tell he was a facsimile and not worth getting wet. But it was a fun ride and really warm and pleasant in there. The pirates were singing. All through this trip another customer at our Ramada had been after my sister, offering her his room number. Consequently we teased her about sneaking out at night to visit him. So when the pirates were singing, "Yo Ho!" I slapped my sister on the shoulder and sang along, "Yo Ho!" She snarled at me. Sometimes when I think I'm being really funny others don't agree with me. We went on the Submarine ride and the Small World ride. We were a little disappointed to see little Nemo and Ariel incorporated into the ride. The small world ride is supposed to be about international harmony, not promoting Disney movies. But it is their park so they have the right to do whatever they think is best. The Indiana Jones ride was new to me. On this ride we're in a car on a track. It was scary but not roller coaster scary until the end when this giant round rock is rolling right toward us. When I get scared or excited I have the bad habit of swearing. I let go a word I wish I had not said. I hope the kids were screaming too loud to hear that. The weather was cold and rainy but I wanted to ride the Peter Pan ride before we left. So we trudged and sloshed over to the fairy tale area. On the Peter Pan ride you are suspended in a little car and you hang over the rooftops of London, just like Peter Pan. I have always enjoyed Peter Pan and the premise of never growing up. I love the Peter Pan ride. When we got off, my niece made a fake yawn to indicate the ride was boring. What! How could she be bored on my favorite ride? Kids these days, what is the world coming to if an 11 year old is bored on the Peter Pan ride at Disneyland? All in all, we had a good day. We left cold, wet, tired and satisfied.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...