Saturday, February 21, 2009

Zoo


In San Diego, we spent a day at the zoo. This is the same zoo that Dr. Suess spent time everyday thinking up his stories and making his illustrations. Once you are here you can tell that the plants and animals had an influence on his books. Some of the plants here are just like the plants in his books. His animals are taken from two or three zoo animals and combined into one. One of my favorite animals was the meerkat. One meerkat stood upright and stared at me with an expression that seemed to be saying,"What are you looking at?" After a couple minutes of this, I felt like I was the the one on exhibit, not him. Flamingos are always awesome to watch.The flamingos here seem pinker than the ones I saw in Africa, no doubt an influence of their diet.Be prepared for a lot of walking at the San Diego zoo as the facility is built into the side of a cliff. I struggle with walking long distances and considered renting a wheelchair but was glad I didn't. Getting me up those steep hills would have taken the strength of three men and a boy. The zoo offers bus rides around some of the exhibits for an additional fee.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...