Saturday, February 28, 2009

Material World

Peace cannot be kept by force.
It can only be achieved by understanding.
-Albert Einstein

I just finished the most incredible book lent to my by my hippie neighbors. The book is called "Material World-A Global Family Portrait." They lent it to me when I went to their house to retrieve my canary from their care taking while I was out of town. I have spent hours poured over this book. This book is more of a coffee table book - large and artistic. Every page has beautiful photos. Each chapter covers a country and the authors do a photo shoot on a family chosen because they represent the statistical norm of that country. The family from the USA has two kids and two cars. The family from Vietnam has three kids and no cars, 4 aunts, 4 uncles, grandparents and other extended family. The family from Ethiopia has five kids and 3 horses. Each family poses for a photo with all their belongings spread out in front of their home. Everything is outside including beds, couches, rugs, shoes, baskets, frying pans, art, and books. The photos are fascinating. The book gives statistics about each country such as literacy rate, population doubling time, rank of affluence, population density, life expectancy, percent of income spent on food, and hours worked in a week. Each family members is asked what is their most valued possession and the answers are fascinating. The whole book is fascinating. All the families have much in common. They're all trying to raise their children to have a better life, to be better off.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...