Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Last Day in San Diego

Our last day in San Diego was Valentine's day. We chose to take it easy. A full week of zoos and theme parks had worn us out. Our hotel had a wonderful breakfast every morning with fresh waffles, biscuits with sausage gravy, oatmeal, bagels, eggs, omelets, breakfast burritos, toast, dry cereal, muffins, etc. After breakfast I headed to the hot tub. All week we enjoyed the hot tub and since this was our last day, I wanted to enjoy it twice. I know hot tubs are much like taking baths with strangers but I enjoy soaking my old bones in the hot water. After a soak, we went off to find some beaches. We drove to La Jolla to enjoy that beach and then moved on to Mission Beach. Mission Beach has many stores and a huge wooden roller coaster. The kids got henna tattoos. We dug holes in the sand. We wrote huge words with out feet that the tide would eventually erase for us. We stayed to watch our last sunset in California set over the Pacific Ocean. As the sun moved down to the horizon, more and more couples came to sit on the sea wall and watch the day end. Ah, the romance. We drove home and had our last soak in the hot tub before packing our clothes for the early morning journey. Unlike the way to California, we didn't miss our flight and we got home right on time. My cold was at it's worst that day and I sneezed and sniffled all the way to Denver. On the flight out of Denver I sat next to a Frontier Airline pilot. He fell asleep quickly into the flight. I was adjusting my television set so that the picture would be dark and I wouldn't be forced to see all their commercials. Then I pushed the button to recline my seat but the pilot's seat reclined, not mine. He jumped awake, startled. "Did I do that?" I asked, "I am so sorry." He put his seat upright again and went back to sleep. My remorse quickly faded and grew into the giggles. I had scared the heck out of a pilot. That was funny to me. I knew I couldn't let him hear me giggling so I put my knuckles in my mouth. Suppressing giggles doesn't work with me - it's like trying to put a plug on a boiling teakettle - things only get worse. I was desperate. Earlier in the trip I had the giggles when I was trying to drive and my six year old nephew helped me out by telling me a sad story. He likes to tell stories and many of his stories are sad. I tried to remember his story; something about some people together and one died. Remembering his story did the trick. As long as I didn't look at the sleeping pilot, I was fine.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...