Sunday, June 6, 2010

Coyote Encounter


Today I went to volunteer at the Wildlife Science Center. I am helping spruce up their entrance by removing dead limbs (of trees, not animals) and putting in some native species. I spoke with someone there to get more direction on what they want. When we finished talking, she asked if I wanted to see her newest pet. In her van, inside a dog crate, was an 8 week old female coyote. She opened the door to the crate and I reached my hand out. She was SO cute. But just before contact, a survival instinct kicked in and my hand hesitated while my brain screamed, "What are you doing touching a wild coyote?" The staff saw my hesitation and said it was okay, "She's not nearly as scratching and biting as she was when I first got her." I touched her little head between her little coyote ears. I scratched her behind her left ear. I let her smell my hand while my fingers caressed her right front leg. Her little black snout touched the top of my left hand. I can hardly believe I had the good fortune to touch a coyote. I've always thought of coyotes as stealthy, intelligent, spiritual animals. They only show themselves when they want to be seen. And if I am lucky enough to see one, it's because the coyote deemed me worthy. In this case, of course, the poor coyote was in a crate and had no option on being seen but I still count myself very lucky today.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...