Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Do You Ever Feel Invisible?


It happened to me today. I felt invisible, silent, and unacknowledged. We were at a meeting. There was an issue. Research needed to be done. I said, "I can look into that." The next sentence was, "(Insert name of a man here), are you willing to look into that?" Did I just not say I would do it? I know I was heard because I saw the confused eyes of the other people at the table. An arm wrestling joke was made and the tension lifted. I was temporarily angry but it passed. There was a chance I wasn't heard at the far end of the table. Instead a feeling of gratitude came over me. I used to feel ignored and invisible very often. Too often. Unhealthily often. I have changed my circumstances so that now I feel invisible very seldom, less than annually. Now that I am (almost) always visible, I won't tolerate feeling invisible anymore.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...